Initiative: Enhancing educational field trips

• 1 Replies

Richard Brownscombe

• Coontie Chapter Rep
    • Broward Website
on: May 26, 2014, 06:46:04 PM
Are there some new ways to think about Chapter field trips? Could we have "First Timer" kits to tell new hikers about our speakers, or advocacy efforts, our plant sales, and the address of our website events Calendar? Do we make a Chapter announcement of Chapter next events and what's happening before turning over the hike to the leader? Can we coordinate hikes with other Chapters? Do we host hikes for school children? What do Chapters need? How can working together improve the hikes we conduct?

Here is this Field Trip team:
http://council.fnpschapters.org/index.php?id=council-subcommittee
Choose a leader, then work on narrowing this discussion to the most exciting and valuable piece. Word it so we can all understand your one achievable goal.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:11:19 PM by Richard Brownscomb »
Richard Brownscombe
Broward Chapter

Scott Davis

• FNPS members
  • Magnolia Chapter Rep
  • Torreya Trekker
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:28 AM
 There are many untapped potential trip augments that - if incorporated - would have the effect of attracting a larger, more diverse crowd of individuals.

People fishin' requires patience; the reward being that once the individual is hooked, it is likely that the society will gain a new, productive member. Using the right hook and the right bait is paramount.

Our goal is to work together, vet-out what lures we should (and should not) be using, implement, and hook the big catch.

Diversifying our field trip programs will be an invaluable asset towards furthering our mission.

As always Richard, thank you for piloting the webwork here to begin this exciting process!

Before I spill my beans on my ideas - many of which I have already trialed and tested - I would to hear as many ideas as possible from everyone.
Some Southern Ecology for Southern Lay folk:
 If the Live Oak is the "southern belle" of our trees, then the Longleaf Pine is certainly the mule.