Management reviews for Corbett, Jones/Hungryland & Savannas

• 3 Replies

Joan B

on: March 07, 2006, 06:37:33 PM
I was invited, as FNPS, by FL DEP to participate in the review of management plans for Corbett, the Jones/Hungryland and the Savannas.(Martin & northern Palm Beach Cty)  A packet of materials arrived and I am pouring over them. If you have any points that should be addressed  during these reviews please contact me.

I would encourage other FNPS members to participate in these endeavors in their counties.

Regards, Joan B

begolf

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:54:30 AM
Joan -- How did you get on DEP's list?

Joan B

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:12:24 PM
I am not sure how/ why...  But since Anne set up the Land Management Partners committee FNPS is now considered to be one of the possible components of the team that reviews management plans. If the DEP person looked for possible names I am listed on Martin County's chapter page.... I did not ask.

The teams are structured by the legislature. We were considered a private conservation group in this case.

(Perhaps they had my name because I  had made comments when Pal Mar was to be acquired a few years ago.)

I can report that it was a very positive experience and urge any FNPS member who may be asked to take part, to do so. I met many really nice people-- agency and otherwise.

Anne Cox

• Board of Directors
  • FNPS Past President
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:50:19 PM
Joan,
So glad you were able to go on the land review. It is an opportunity that all Native Plant Society Members should have.  The reviews themselves cover many areas, fire management, mechanical, cultural aspects of the site, usage - hiking, birding, passive and active recreation. I encourage FNPS members to go to the FDEP Website. Ask your Chapter Representative about how you can help.

ACC
Anne C. Cox, Ph.D.