Standard Practice for Native Plant Rescue?

• 2 Replies

Pete Johnson

• FNPS members
    • Crosby Sanctuary Project
on: May 14, 2007, 05:56:54 PM
Is there a list of standard proceedure for plant rescues?  Are special permits required?
If so, then where do I find this information?

Thanks
IxiaPeteJax

Jackie Rolly

• FNPS members
  • Secretary
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 07:05:22 PM
Ixia Pete Jax:  There are procedures for Plant Rescues/Salvage.  You need the land owner's (or their representative) permission, and there is a standard letter for that.  If you are not rescueing/salvaging an endangered plant or one that is commercially exploited, the owner's permission is sufficient.  You need that on your person while on the property.  So you need to do a walk through first of the property and if you find any endangered or commercially exploited then you need a permit from the State.  That form can be found on the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Plant Industry, web site.  The form number is DACS-08051 Rev. 04/05 "Request for Permit to Harvest"  You submit that form and a copy of the owner's permission.  The Division of Plant Industry is pretty good about getting the permit back to you within about 10 working days.  I request the permit be valid for a year, especially if you think you will be returning to the site often.  You can also find the regulation on that web site that lists the endangered, threatened, and commercially exploited.  Tyson Emery is who I've been talking with and his phone number is 352-372-3505 extension 155. Please note, any rescued plants cannot be sold to the public or commercially exploited.  If I have totally confused you, please send me an email and I can send some of the forms to you.  J.Y.Rolly@att.net
Jackie Rolly, Tarflower Chapter Rescue Committee

Karina

• former Executive Director
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:26:39 PM
There is a lot to know.  Jackie Rolly (who responded to this question already) and Marge Holt have extensive knowledge on the subject and have created a powerpoint presentation review all of the steps for a successful plant salvage/rescue.   You can contact Kariena at executivedirector@fnps.org to obtain a copy of the powerpoint.
Karina Veaudry