Chapter Requests

• 10 Replies

Miki Renner

• Chapter Council
on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:21 PM
Hi all.  I was not sure where to put these suggestions.  I spoke with my Board before the last 8-15-15 live meeting and they asked that I bring up a few items.  I did not have that opportunity at our meeting so I'm posing them here.

We've had a few requests for insurance documentation as part of our application process for events.  I believe I was once told that Chapters are insured for liability under the Society insurance.  The last time I asked I did not get a complete answer. Can these documents be uploaded and made available to all chapters?

We would like to participate in the Speaker's Bureau.  Scott did some great work getting this together but now I can't remember where to find it. Can it be better advertised, occasional reminders provided to the Chapters?

The Society is in a position to take advantage of economies of scale.  Would it be possible to negotiate standard plant labels, possibly using Shirley Denton's fabulous database?  If not actual labels could the Society provide vendor lists for such items?  There are probably numerous items that many chapters use that could be more economically provided this way.

Sue Mullins does a huge job for the Society each legislative session.  Would it be possible to have a written report from her after each session?  Perhaps a scorecard of legislation like that provide from the League of Women Voters.  A video of a report that could be played at Chapter meetings would be wonderful as well.

We call for more U-Tube lectures/discussions on biologically intense areas of FL.  We have several great scientists (Gene, Ginny, Shirley, Juliet, etc) that could provide interesting lectures for replay at chapter meetings.  Something on fire management would be timely now.

Would it be possible to obtain films from the conference presentations.  There have been several that have been memorable and would be wonderful to play at chapter meetings as well. The presentation by the entomologist at Archbold is an obvious example from the last conference.

Athena Philips

• FNPS members
  • VP Admin; Conference Committee Chair
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:25:00 PM
I agree with all of the above, except the insurance documents. I believe those are specific to the event and require individual paperwork.
Athena Philips, Citrus Chapter
VP of Administration
Conference Committee Chair

JulietRynear

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:29:46 PM
Athena, I believe you are correct.  It's always a good idea to contact info@fnps.org prior to any major project/event and ask about our insurance coverage. 

We also have a "Waiver of Liability" form that can be modified to list and describe the specific event (see attached).

Miki Renner

• Chapter Council
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:35:25 PM
The Society is in a position to take advantage of economies of scale.  Would it be possible to negotiate standard plant labels, possibly using Shirley Denton's fabulous database?  If not actual labels could the Society provide vendor lists for such items?  There are probably numerous items that many chapters use that could be more economically provided this way.

Based on the above earlier comment I would like to request consideration of a standardized statewide plant sale label.  The Hernando Chapter has at least two plant sales per year.  Many other Chapters are running plant sales as well.  One of our issues during these sales is the need to provide adequate information to purchasers to entice their purchase.  We also want to ensure that the plants we are promoting are in fact native to our areas.  Our venders cover an array of capabilities and change frequently.

Labeling these plants is a first step to provide appropriate and accurate information to those who come to us seeking it.

Can we pursue something similar to the economies of scale being requested to print the new plant brochure?  This may take a bit of discussion, so I request the discussion begin.  Thank you.

JulietRynear

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 06:01:39 PM
Great idea Miki.  I wasn't able to attend the last Council meeting on July 24th but I hope this was discussed.  If not, it would be great to add this to a discussion at the August in-person meeting.

Miki Renner

• Chapter Council
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:14:47 PM
Thanks for your response Juliet.  I would love to begin that discussion at the August meeting but will unfortunately be out of state for that meeting and unable to attend.  To be continued . . .

Hope your having a fine summer.

JulietRynear

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:26:21 PM
Here is a company that was recommended by Green Isle Gardens native nursery (good prices and lots of different options).  We all might get some good ideas on what Chapters may want/need.

https://hortcatalog.integracolor.com/en/

JulietRynear

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 05:20:26 PM
Here are a number of companies suggested by an FNPS member and FANN nursery owner.  Please review and give feedback at our next in-person meeting:

https://hortcatalog.integracolor.com/en/

https://www.satoamerica.com/

http://www.realtimetags.com/

http://www.label-it.com/horticulture.htm

Miki Renner

• Chapter Council
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 07:03:20 PM
Hi Juliet.  Thanks so much for considering my question and researching some possibilities.  I was thinking that the Society and CoC would want to craft some templates that will work for all needs and all chapters before we start shopping around for producers.  Was it your thought that some of these printers may be able to assist with such a design?
I'll bring it up with Cindy L. and tonight's CoC online meeting members.
Again, thanks a bunch!
Miki

JulietRynear

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:06:03 PM
Hi Miki,

These companies represent the best examples of what products are available and the different options (print your own or order from the company) to choose from.

Ideally, the Chapter Reps from each chapter will give feedback as to what kinds of products they might be interested in. 

For example:

•   Plant tags for individual pots
•   Thermal transfers
•   Larger display tags (could have a photo of the plant in bloom, and info on habitat, mature size, etc.)
•   Informational signs
•   Sign holders
•   Other branded merchandise

Once we have an idea what chapters need or want, and about how many of each item they would be interested in ordering, then we can start moving on to the design process (and fundraising if needed).

If many chapters are interested, I think this may be a project like the Landscape Brochure initiative in that it will require input from all chapters.  Even if this is something that a chapter(s) is not interested in, we need to hear that from them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:08:43 PM by Juliet Rynear »

JulietRynear

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 03:38:56 PM
Attached is a great report written by Marlene Rodak that documents a Coccoloba Chapter plant sale.  Lots of great info here, including how they make their plant tags and signage. 

Love the idea of using biodegradable wooden plant markers.

Here are some bulk ordering options:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB217914/Bulk-Hardwood-Field-Plant-Labels

http://www.harrisseeds.com/Storefront/p-13820-labels-6-in-wood-label.aspx?_cr=PPC%7CGS%7CLABELS&gclid=CJLb6_yWn9ECFdgNgQode0YFrw