Chapter Practice: Year Round Meetings?

• 2 Replies

Ellen Broderick

• Chapter Council
on: January 30, 2015, 11:50:06 AM
Do you meet all year round? If so, what do you do in the hotest months? Love to hear from other Chapters on this.

As a new rep to the Council, my Chapter has charged me with gathering some info on "How Do Other Chapters Do It?".
Martin County/Cocoplum Chapter holds monthly meeting featuring a speaker and with a field trip later in the week. We meet October through May. Some of our core members are snowbirds or vacation away in the summer. Also its so darn hot but imagine that is so all over Florida.

Thanks
Ellen Broderick
Cocoplum/Martin County Chapter Rep.

Al Squires

• Chapter Council
  • Cuplet Fern Chapter Representative
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:34:09 PM
Mangrove meets from Oct. to May but we have field trips the last Sat. of each month except Dec.  In the summer we may have only 6 to 8 participants, yesterday we had 21
Chapter Representative, Cuplet Fern Chapter

Richard Brownscombe

• Coontie Chapter Rep
    • Broward Website
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 11:46:17 AM
The Broward Chapter takes two months off, July and August. I have mixed feeling about the practice. Many chapters have some summer months off. Sometimes heat (at least in South Florida) is proposed as the reason although our meeting place is air conditioned. Field trips are hotter and may have more mosquitos. But I feel confident that the real reason is that the Board and volunteers appreciate the summer vacation from Chapter work. I really appreciate the break from the responsibilities of creating program, creating e-news, publicizing, attending all events, and the like. I'm sure most other Board and regular volunteers feel the same. I sometimes feel that it is a disservice to the public, and I miss those hot, mosquito-infested field trips deep into the Everglades to see rare wildflowers and wildlife. We often find other summer trips or events, but I go free and irresponsibly as a participate.

If we could do better about having more volunteers to distribute the work, THEN I would consider serving the public during the summer. Until then, I wouldn't dare deny our Board and regular volunteers (or myself) summer's freedom.
Richard Brownscombe
Broward Chapter